Catherine and Steven

Earlier this summer my family and I moved from Winnipeg into the beautiful town of Oakbank, Manitoba. At the time, I was very excited but I didn't realize just how much I was going to fall in love with this town and the people.  After photographing Catherine and Steven's wedding, my first wedding actually in Oakbank........I knew why.  I spent the day with many fantastic people who united together to watch as Catherine and Steven (Cat and Steve) tied the knot.  This was an incredible day.
I met Steve 16 years ago.........wow!!! Over the years he has become one of my husband's closest friend and shared in our day as we walked down the aisle only a few years ago.  I was so excited when I found out that Steve had met a wonderful girl and that he was getting married.  I have often referred to Steve as being so kind and such a "sweetheart" so to know that he finally found someone to share his life with, we couldn't have been happier.
Within a few months of their engagement I was asked if I was available to photograph the wedding.  I was overjoyed and also extremely honoured.  A wedding is so sentimental and full of memories so to be asked to capture them photographically-meant the world to me.
The moment I met Cat I felt like we had known each other for years.  She is charismatic, genuine, and drop dead gorgeous!  I knew instantly that Steve had found an amazing partner to share in his adventures but that I had also made a fantastic new friend.
I met Cat (along with Darlene) at the couple's home just after 10:00am.  Within moments the music of Bon Jovi was being played, the make up artist arrived, and the drinks were being poured.  Cat stood and watched the hustle and bustle in her living room and took a deep breath and said "Oh my............I'm getting married!"  We all laughed, she reminded me of a kid at Christmas.  She was so anxious, excited, nervous, and happy all in one!


After a few joyous tears shared with her sister and parents (okay me a little bit too!), Cat was dressed.  She stood by her bedroom window and we all sighed............ the natural light danced across her body as her eyes sparkled........Catherine looked STUNNING!


Soon Taylor, the flower girl arrived and the rest of the bridesmaids.  The morning had flown by so quickly that it was time for Darlene and I too head over to the church.



The ceremony was held at 1:00pm at St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Cook's Creek.  I have to say that this was the best entrance I have seen so far from a bride.  It was just like a movie, where the church doors open... the bride enters as the sun shines behind her.............as Cat started to walk down the aisle her nervous giggles filled the church............all you could hear was her voice saying"oooooohhhh"as her eyes met Steve who was waiting for her.  It was priceless, we all shared in her laughter.
After the ceremony we joined the happy couple under a sky of bubbles as they left the church and we headed off to take family photos.
Now, a few weeks ago I was told that we were going to do a few photos at their friend, Rocky's home. They thought this would be a good spot as he had some "neat buildings and a few cars".  What they didn't tell me was that I was walking into a photographer's dreamland and that I only had 2 hours to capture it!  Rocky.......if you are reading this, your home is a masterpiece and I want to thank you again for giving us the opportunity to come and photograph it, I only wish I had 4 more hours...just kidding Steve. It was just an incredible place to be and I had a beautiful couple and their awesome friends to share it with.





I want to thank Cat and Steve's wedding party for being so great to work with.  The fun and laughter that you each brought to the photo session had Darlene and I in stitches, we truly had a great time!











After leaving Rocky's house we ventured out to a near by field, despite the insane wind to snap a few more photos as Cat and Steve enjoyed a glass of champagne.
I'd like to say a special THANK YOU to both Cat and Steve for your friendship from the past, the present and the future.  You are both such incredible people and I am so happy that you both have found your perfect someone to share the rest of your lives with.








The reception venue wasn't at a hotel or conference centre, instead it was held on the grounds of their friend, Stefan's home.  His place was perfect for the party.  He had a bonfire, a bar in one of the coolest barns I've ever seen, and the dinner and dancing were held under a white tent.  The tent was filled with baskets of flowers, buckets of apples, and the walls were dressed in white lights.  A perfect place to end such a great day.




I had so much fun meeting all of Steve and Cat's friends and family, some people came as far as England to attend the wedding. The whole day reminded me of how lucky I was to find my new home here in Oakbank and how beautiful it was to photograph.
Thanks again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment